Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Not the greatest day of sketches ever.

Some days you can sit down and the sketch pad and just go for it. On those day's everything you draw is gold, every line the perfect line. On days like that you feel invincible. Unstoppable.
Today was not one of those days. Today I started sketching Richie Mccaw and it just did not come together. I thought I had something useable at one point but I left it for a little while and kept sketching and when I went back to it... Yeah, it was a turd.
Looked like something a great dane would leave on the neighbours front yard. I tried to even it out a by adding some paint value to it but by the time I got around to rendering out the corn kernels, I realised that it was irrevocably a turd and that no amount of work on that particular sketch was going to make it look like richie mccaw.
I won't embarrass myself by posting these visual excretions.
Instead I will fast forward to later (much later) in the day when after many more sketches of many more people I finally managed to sketch someone with the added bonus of making it look like the intended someone. Hooray!!!
May I present, Sir Ed. The young Sir Ed at least. I'm working on the old sir ed as well. I'm putting some stuff together for a gallery showing and I want sir ed here to be a part of it. Both young and old. If you're wondering who the two funky looking cats on the side of this are... That's part of my lousy sketching day. They are the two sketches that preceded this sketch. Top first, then the lower one and then the middle one. In that order.
I know, they bare no resemblance to anyone but doing the sketches that don't work is part of the fun. Actually it's only fun if you finally get the likeness you're after. If you don't get it, it's not fun at all. It's just annoying.
In this case, it's part of the fun.

Fun, fun.... fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment